Followers

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gratitude


"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy."- Brother David Steindl-Rast

I've recently been turned onto the notion that we can choose happiness. At first, this seemed like a really strange concept to me. How can you choose happiness right? Well, I tried it the other day. I was in a grumpy mood from the moment I set foot out of bed. This dark cloud continued to follow me around as I arrived at school and began preparations in my classroom. Deciding that I wasn't going to let myself be hijacked by a foul mood, I practiced mindful breathing and set my intention for a positive day.

Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us to be appreciative of life and our ability to participate in it. We can be grateful for our sight, our capacity to move our body, our breath... No matter the external conditions, we can find peace and happiness within ourselves.










No comments:

Post a Comment